Here are many of the most frequently asked questions regarding your SWS connection
- Check your speed
Before you start checking your speed, switch off all boosters and extenders. When you achieve a speedtest which shows your expected speed or you’ve completed the tests as described below, switch boosters and extenders back on one by one, checking connectivity as you do so.
1. Reboot the router and radio – ensure both are switched off for at least 30 seconds before switching back on. The radio can take up to three minutes to complete a full reboot.
2. Check that there’s no background activity like gaming, streaming, CCTV, cloud backups etc.
3. Run a speedtest.
4. If the results aren’t what you’re expecting repeat the speedtest with a device cabled to the router.
5. If results are still below expected rates repeat the speedtest with a device connected to the LAN port of the transceiver/radio power adapter.
6. Still below expected speed? Double check results with a different device.
Forward your speedtest results to us and let us know what time of day you experience reduced or fluctuating speeds and how long it’s been happening.
To help us identify the cause of bandwidth problems we may ask you to carry out multiple tests and different times of the day and on different devices if you are able.
- Buffering when streaming
If you are experiencing buffering, run the speedtests as described above to establish a baseline.
Buffering can have a variety or causes:
* Poor network connection# (please see our WiFi Coverage page)
* There may be a restriction within your home network
* You may be maxing out your connection capacity
* There may be a network bandwidth bottleneck preventing us delivering your bandwidth to you
#A single device with a poor network connection can affect the quality of all other device connections as your router can dedicate too great a proportion of its operation to maintain the poor connection. Check that all your devices have a strong network connection – if you have not-spots or areas where connection is poor, take a look at our WiFi Survey & Coverage page before contacting us.
Contact us if your speedtests indicate that we are not delivering bandwidth to your connection or if you would like to ask us about extending your home network.
- Slow response times
If web pages or emails are taking time to load, run the speedtests as described above to establish a baseline.
A single device with a poor network connection can affect the quality of all other device connections as your router can dedicate disproportionate effort to maintaining the poor connection. Check that all your devices have a strong network connection – if you have not-spots or areas where connection is poor, take a look at our Wifi Survey page before contacting us.
Contact us if your speedtests indicate we’re not delivering bandwidth to your connection or if you’d like to ask us about extending your home network.
- What service will I get, how much will I pay?
Details of the services we offer including our charges can be found on our rural broadband page. Our installation confirmation will detail the service we expect to provide and the charges. you can change the service at any time if you wish – this will not extend the minimum term of your contract.
- When does my service start?
Your SWS Broadband service will start after successful installation. We expect this to be on the day of installation but occasionally there may be circumstances which delay this.
- How long does my service last?
The minimum term for all services is 12 months from the date of your first invoice for the service.
In some circumstances you can end a service early.
- Will the charges increase?
We may increase the charges at any time. We’ll tell you before we make any changes to our prices, we’ll give you at least two months notice of any changes.
If a change puts you in a significantly worse position you’ll be able to end the agreement without penalty.
- Will a service change?
We may change a service, service features, charges or our Terms and Conditions at any time.
If any changes put you in a significantly worse position you’ll be able to end the agreement without penalty.
- What notice do I have to give for terminating my service?
We require a minimum of one calendar month notice if you want to terminate your service – please see our closing account page for further information.